Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I stirr...

Yes, the time has come to start this blog. I've scoured other medical blogs in blogspot and knew that I too would need a place to specifically write about this new journey.

Basically, if you couldn't tell from the description I am currently in a program at my college to become a phlebotomist. I have been doing my internship at my local hospital for about three weeks now. So far, it seems like a pretty fun career and many of the younger phlebotomists there seem to kinda agree with me. I asked an older woman if the job was fun and she said "noooooo." I'm guessing that you do have to spice things up after a few years, but for now I'll stick to learning the ropes. I hope to become a nurse someday so phlebotomy should be handy for that.

For those of you who are not familiar with the field (I wasn't until I read about in the colledge catalogue!) phlebotomy is the art of taking blood. It literally means "to cut vein." Not that I'm slicing people open, it's just a needle people, it's a poke! We also work in the lab running samples of basically any fluid that can come from the human body including, but not limited to, blood, urine, stool (that's poop to nonmedical folk), pus, bile and cerebral spinal fluid.

Being a vamire isn't as romantic as Twilight makes it out to be, eh?

Anyway, you see the good and the bad in this field. From people just passing through to those who will probably never leave. This field can bring you up, stimulate, challenge, sadden, enlighten and ultimately force you to grow. And those are just things I learned from a three week internship!

Hope you enjoy the ride with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment