Friday, April 3, 2009

We carry on

This post is important too, but decided to add it separately. Before I even started in my phlebotomy class, I prayed for skill. I wanted to be a super-phlebotomist from the very start. Every stick painless and perfect, no hematomas, no redraws, just pure sanguine-savvy genius. Then I started clinicals.

I still hold those high stardards, but they're harder to attain when I thought. I miss. I hold pressure in the wrong places sometimes and cause bruising. Sometimes the tech has to take over. And I sit there, deathly embarrassed, ashamed and questioning of my own abilities. Thank God for the techs. They are very reassuring that it happens to everyone. Still, I want to do better.

It has taught me something very important though...instead of being a super phlebotomy student I should be a humble phlebotomy student who is aware of her shortcomings and that she is capable of making mistakes. Therefore, the work must be taken seriously. I joke and act all happy with the patients, but inside, I want things to go right. To make the perfect draw. To inflict as little pain as possible. To protect the patient. Phlebotomy is dead serious because you can kill someone.

For that reason, I'm glad that God has taught me humility with that horrible day I had yesterday (see previous post) because instead of being super and at risk of becoming one of those students who "knows it all" and being God's ultimate gift to the phlebotomy world, I know what I really am. A student with alot to learn. And once I learn, I can be a better phlebotomist in the long run.

Funny how these things work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment